Students who wish to apply to UC Hastings should do so online via the Law School Admission Council's Credential Assembly Service (CAS) at www.lsac.org. Personal statements and resumes should be uploaded directly into the applicant's LSAC account. The $75 UC Hastings application fee should be paid electronically through LSAC. Official transcript(s) and recommendation letters should be sent directly to LSAC, 662 Penn St, Newtown, PA 18940, USA.
Students who wish to apply for the LL.M program should follow the LL.M application instructions, which are different from the J.D. instructions on this page.
First-year J.D. applicants should apply online between October 1 and March 1 for enrollment the following August. First-year applications are only considered for fall semester enrollment; it is not possible to begin classes during the spring or summer terms.
Early Commitment applicants must have their applications submitted by November 15 and completed no later than December 1.
To assist you in applying to UC Hastings, please refer to the following admission checklist:
- Applicants must have—or be in the process of completing—a Bachelor’s Degree or its foreign equivalent
- Take the LSAT
- February is the last acceptable test date for fall (August) enrollment.
- October is the last acceptable test date for Early Commitment Option applicants
- Register for the Law School Credential Assembly Service (CAS) at www.lsac.org
- All applicants must have their official transcripts and two letters of recommendation sent directly to the Law School Admission Council (LSAC).
- International or domestic applicants who have completed any post secondary coursework outside the U.S. (including its territories) or Canada must submit their transcripts through the LSAC Credential Assembly Service. (This service is included in the CAS subscription fee.) This service is not required if an applicant completed foreign work through a study abroad program, consortium, or exchange program by a U.S. or Canadian institution.
Submit the application, personal statement, and required résumé so that they are received by March 1
for regular admission and by
for Early Commitment consideration.
- Provide an active e-mail address on the first page of the application and check it regularly. Please be sure your e-mail account is set to receive e-mail from uchastings.edu
- Please include your name and LSAC account number on all documents
- Submit the $75.00 application fee electronically via your online LSAC account
- Please note that applying online requires payment via a credit or debit card
- Fee Waivers: UC Hastings College of the Law requires and honors fee waivers submitted through LSAC. Please contact LSAC for further information (www.lsac.org).
- Submit only two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your academic or professional work
- Please note that letters must be submitted directly to the CAS with your LSAC account number
- If you have been out of school for more than one year, you may use employer recommendations
- Answer the Character and Fitness questions in the application regarding prior law school enrollment, academic sanctions, employment, or criminal convictions. If you answer yes to any one of the four questions, you must provide an explanation on a separate sheet.
- Legal Education Opportunity Program Application (LEOP - optional). This supplemental application is solely for students who wish to be considered through LEOP. LEOP applicants must answer all relevant questions on the LEOP Application Supplement. They may choose to include information about the adversity they faced and its impact on their academic preparation in their personal statement or provide a second essay for this purpose (preferred). In addition, to the extent that other information will help in the evaluation of your claim about significant adversity, please provide it. (For instance, diagnostic reports concerning disabilities and accommodations should be submitted.)
- Financial Aid Forms (optional) - Submit between January 1 and March 3, 2014
- The UC Hastings Financial Aid Supplement is required. It can be completed and submitted online via this link: https://cio.uchastings.edu/fa
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The UC Hastings code is G03947.
Transfer applicants should apply online between May 1 and July 1. Transfer applications are only considered for fall semester enrollment. Updated recommendation letters should be sent directly to the LSAC.
Visiting students should apply online between May 1 and July 1 for the fall semester and between October 15 and December 1 for the spring semester.
If you encounter any technical difficulties with the application process, contact LSAC directly at 215-968-1393. Feel free to direct non-technical inquiries to the Admissions Office via email or phone at 415-565-4623.