The Office of Career & Professional Development at UC Hastings College of the Law is located in the heart of a large metropolitan area with a highly competitive legal market. As such it has become a target for many law school graduates from other cities/states, many of whom want to use the resources of UC Hastings’ Career Services office in their job searches. Our reciprocity policy is designed to fulfill our primary responsibility to serve UC Hastings College of the Law graduates, while still offering employment information to job candidates from other law schools. The Office of Career Services of Hastings College of the Law will provide reasonable access to resources for students and alumni of law schools outside of the San Francisco Bay Area per the following policy:
1. Reciprocity is available to students and alumni of those ABA-accredited law schools that allow UC Hastings students and alumni to use their facilities.
2. UC Hastings maintains Open Reciprocity with: Santa Clara, California Western (San Diego,) University of Michigan, McGeorge (Sacramento,) and all UC Law Schools, EXCEPT U.C. Berkeley Cal Career Center. Only graduates from these schools may visit our Career Services office without a letter and use UC Hastings’ resources as described in item 5 by presenting proof of attendance (e.g., an alumni card or student ID), and vice-versa. Our office will still require advance notice of a visit to make sure there is staff present to assist with computer logins. Please call 415-565-4619 to schedule a time to come in.
3. Requests for reciprocity must be made in writing via email by a career services official from the home law school and should indicate the student or alum’s name, email address, phone number, and class year. Approval for reciprocity must be granted from UC Hastings Career Office; NO drop-in visits.
Requests should be addressed to:
Stephanie Yee, Reciprocity Coordinator
Office of Career & Professional Development
UC Hastings College of the Law
200 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
4. If Open Reciprocity is granted, our policy allows 3 visits within a 3-month period PER YEAR, beginning with the date of first visit. Upon each visit, the graduate must present the letter granting reciprocity from UC Hastings (see Item 3) along with a form of photo identification (e.g., driver’s license). Please call our office (415-565-4619) in advance to set up a time to access our job listings. This will ensure that we have staff available to assist with set up.
5. Reciprocity services include access to the online job board and the Career Services resource library only. Counseling, student jobs, and participation in on-campus interviews are not included.
6. Remote access is possible if the requesting school will offer the same to a UC Hastings student or alum on a 1:1 basis.
7. RECIPROCITY IS CLOSED from July 15 through November 15 each year due to the Fall Recruiting season.