If you are currently insured under the UC SHIP plan, your coverage ends at 11:59pm on 8/11/2013 for Spring graduates. COBRA coverage is not available for student insurance. However, students who are enrolled in UC SHIP may opt to continue the policy for a maximum of one semester after graduation.
SHS strongly encourages all students, regardless of age or health status, to arrange for some sort of short term policy. UC Hastings does not endorse any specific policies. Here are some options for you to consider:
- The UC SHIP office is an excellent source of information for health insurance resources after graduation
- To enroll in the UC SHIP Continuation Plan for one semester after graduation, students must mail a completed Voluntary UC SHIP 2012-2013 Continuation Plan Enrollment Form and payment directly to Wells Fargo Insurance Services. Please check back for the 2013-2014 enrollment form.
- Spring 2013 graduates, note that you have 30 days after your termination date of August 11, 2013, to voluntarily enroll. Please note that the cost for coverage as a UC Hastings graduate is different than the cost for an enrolled student.
- The premium for the Spring 2013 Continuation Plan will be $2852.41. The premium for the Fall 2013 Continuation Plan will be posted as soon as it is available from UC SHIP.
- The benefits for the continuation plan are the same as those of the student health insurance plan; however graduates do not have access to the Student Health Services clinic. Members of the continuation plan self-refer to an Anthem Blue Cross PPO Provider.
- You can apply for the Conversion Clear Protection Plus 5000 Plan through Anthem Blue Cross. A Conversion Plan is a good option for individuals who have ongoing health issues. If you opt to purchase the Continuation Plan (#1, above), after you can apply for a Conversion Plan after your UC SHIP continuation coverage expires, but must be enrolled within 63 days of termination. You must be covered under UC SHIP for at least 3 continuous months immediately prior to losing coverage in order to be eligible for the Conversion plan. In order to facilitate seamless and continuous coverage, please indicate the last day of coverage under UC SHIP as the day that you are applying for coverage. To elect Conversion coverage, please call Anthem Blue Cross at (800) 333- 0912. You will need to have your current Anthem I.D. number in order to apply.
- You may apply for an individual plan at an insurance carrier such as Anthem Blue Cross or Kaiser. Short term coverage information is available at Ascension. Please note, while the Anthem Blue Cross Conversion Plan is guarantee issue (meaning you do not have to prove insurability as long as you apply within 30 days of the end of the expiring plan) for an Individual Plan you will need to provide proof of insurability and you may not be accepted.
- If you have a known chronic health condition, California Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB) is a good option. The wait period varies for this program (sometimes 3 or more months). Apply as soon as possible for MRMIB because of the wait period. If you need assistance with this process, please call 415.565.4612 to schedule an appointment with the SHS social worker. The last day to see the social worker is May 11, 2012.
Students who anticipate needing medical records from Hastings Student Health Services may request them before leaving school. If you have had any injury or illness that may have ongoing problems, you may want to keep a copy of your records. You may hold your own records until you find a new physician or have them sent directly to your MD. Women may want to have a record of their annual exams to give to their next physician. If you want your records complete a Release of Information form and return to SHS. Medical records are kept for three years after a student graduates. After three years, all records are destroyed.
CERTIFICATE OF PRIOR HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE
In order to ensure a smooth transition with your next health insurance provider, you will need to provide them with a Certificate of Prior Coverage. This certificate provides proof that you have had health insurance. There must be a lapse of no more than 63 days following the termination date of UC SHIP to qualify as continuous coverage. Graduates will automatically receive a Certificate of Prior Coverage from Anthem Blue Cross. If you do not receive a certificate by September 11, 2013, call Anthem Blue Cross Customer Service (866.940.8306) to receive this document. The most common reason for not receiving the certificate is a change of address. If this is the case, make sure to tell the Anthem representative of your address change.