Do you want to take your exams on a laptop computer?*
If you did not do so last fall, you must install and register the 2013-2014 version of SofTest before your first exam. SofTest is a simple word-processing program that blocks access to your hard drive** and the Internet during your exams. Some features include:
- an autosave function that automatically saves your exam answer to your hard drive every sixty seconds.
- automatic formatting of your answers during the printing process. (All exams are double-spaced, using 12pt. Arial font with standard uniform headers and footers.)
- availability on almost any computer purchased within the last 3-4 years. See specific system requirements below.
*Students taking their exams through the Disability Resource Program should contact Laura Andrews with any questions about computer exam accommodations.
**Unless instructed otherwise by your professor.
What should you do prior to Exam Day?
Register SofTest on the computer you intend to use on exam day.
- Go to https://ei.examsoft.com/GKWeb/login/uchastings
- Login under "Exam Takers" using your Hastings Email login name for "Email Name" (e.g. doej -- NOT "@uchastings.edu"!) and your 7-digit Hastings ID number for the "Password" (e.g. 0123456). Contact the Records Office if you cannot log in.
- Click on "Download SofTest", then "Download & Install," and run the installation program. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Complete your registration once the installation is complete. Launch SofTest by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your Windows desktop or single-clicking the icon in the Dock or the Applications folder on your Mac. You must be connected to the Internet. Enter the login name and password you used in step #2. You will be prompted to register and will get a message "Congratulations! SofTest has registered your computer."
- You will be required to sign a waiver to download SofTest & the same waiver on a Computer Exam Agreement form in the exam room.
Practice using SofTest by downloading a mock exam file and running a mock exam.
- Open SofTest.
- Choose "DOWNLOAD EXAM FILES."
- Enter your Hastings email login name and 7-digit Hastings ID number.
- Click past the screen that asks for a download password, none is required.
- Choose the Mock exam from the dropdown menu & click to download.
- Click the TAKE EXAM button, select the Mock exam from the dropdown menu, and click “start” to open the blank exam file.
- Type a few sentences to make sure there is no key delay or other issue. Try out the Spell Checker and the other features.
- EXIT the exam and follow all instructions to upload the answer file back to the ExamSoft server. You should receive confirmation that your file was uploaded.
Check your computer (system requirements below)
- Locate the A/C – battery power indicator light to determine which light shows that you are running on A/C power (i.e. power from a wall outlet).
- Ensure that there is plenty of free hard drive space.
- Ensure that your computer is virus free.
- Ensure that your computer is free of disk errors by running SCANDISK on Windows (click Start Button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scandisk or Disk Cleanup) Ensure that your battery is fully charged prior to the exam in case of a temporary power outage.
Download the exam files for your exams (available about 2 weeks before exam date)
- Follow steps 1-5 in the "Practice using SofTest by download a mock exam..." section above for each exam course. The password to open the exam files will be given to you at the exam by the exam proctor.
If you need help with the installation or registration process, contact ExamSoft technical support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free 866.429.8889. You may also contact the Hastings IT staff at email@example.com or stop by room 440 in the library for assistance throughout the semester. If you cannot resolve any major issues before the day of your exam, please plan on writing your exam in a bluebook.
What must you do on Exam Day?
- Bring your power cord and battery (in the event of power loss). If you normally use an external keyboard and mouse or if you need earplugs, you may bring those as well.
- Arrive at the exam room 30 minutes early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer, and follow the instructions provided to you by the proctor. Use the password provided by the proctor to open the exam file.
- Stop at the warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Do not type begin until instructed by the proctor.
- Type your answer, which is saved to your hard drive each minute. No internet connection is needed during the exam.
- Stop typing when instructed. Follow EXIT exam instructions. Do not leave the room until you have received confirmation that your exam file has uploaded.
- Exams will not be delayed or suspended due to computer problems.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam grade at the end of the semester.
SofTest may not be used in virtual operating systems.
- CPU = 2GHz Intel® Core™/Celeron™ or equivalent x86 processor
- RAM = highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
- Hard Drive = highest recommended for the operating system or 1 GB of free space
- Operating System = English editions of Windows XP (32-bit only), Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
- Software = Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Administrator level account permissions
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 2GB
- Hard Drive = 1 GB of free space
- Operating System = MAC OS X 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8 (Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion
- Server version of MAC OS X is not supported
- Software = Internet connection for SofTest installations, exam download and upload
- Administrator level account permissions