Each of the LfA sites recruiting applicants from the Class of 2018 is listed below. Click on the name of the site to access the site’s LfA Partnership Proposal or other information. The application form is here. A separate application is required for each site; however, you may of course cut and paste responses from one application to another if you are applying to several sites. When you have completed your application, you should email it (including all attachments) to email@example.com. (If you cannot e-sign the application, you may print, sign, scan, and email the signature page, or deliver it to Professor Cohen's mailbox in the Faculty Lounge.)
A recording of the Fall 2016 LfA Info Session can be viewed here.
Before applying for this program please keep in mind:
1) While you may apply to more than one partner site, you will need to submit a separate application for each site. This will allow you to personalize your answers for each site.
2) During the training year of your fellowship, which is your third year at UC Hastings, you will receive a total of 24 units (8 classroom, 16 non-classroom) for your participation in this program.
3) Other than classroom time related to the program and any coursework (which must be approved by your work site), you will be focused on your externship (with 32 hours per week expected). Your work schedule will extend from the first week of instruction in the fall semester until the end of the last week prior to the week that includes graduation, and will include work time in December and January, according to your site's work schedule. That means you will be working during part of the UC Hastings winter break. (You will be entitled to two weeks vacation which you may choose to take during the winter holidays.)
4) During the training year, the LfA faculty supervisor will oversee your academic progress as will supervisors at your placement site. The classroom component of the externship will require reading, writing, and meetings or conferences, at the discretion of the faculty supervisor. Your placement supervisor will coordinate with your faculty supervisor to assure your ability to attend class meetings and meet other academic requirements.
5) After graduation you will be given a period of up to three months to prepare for and take the California Bar Examination, followed by a short vacation. Thereafter you will be obligated to work in your placement for one year (the service year). During the service year you will be an employee of Lawyers for America, with an annual stipend of $35,000 (paid biweekly). Lawyers for America will also provide for health insurance.
6) A committee of UC Hastings faculty will screen applications for this program and forward those of finalists to the LFA coordinator at the placements to which you have applied. The placements’ LFA coordinators will decide which finalists to invite for interviews. The placements’ LFA coordinators will make offers of the fellowship positions, and may also select a “wait list.” Students offered fellowship positions will be given up to 10 days to decide whether to accept and to be prepared to sign the employment contracts. (A template for the contracts is available here).
7) Before accepting an offer, you must meet with LfA Academic Director Mai Linh Spencer to review your plan to meet all graduation requirements consistent with participation in LfA.
Want to hear from past fellows? http://vimeo.com/uchastings/lfa